To gain the title of Avid Certified User for Pro Tools, you must take two foundational courses, Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) and Pro Tools Fundamentals II (PT110), before sitting and passing the associated certification exam.
The Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) course (18 hours) introduces fundamental Pro Tools concepts and principles, covering everything an individual needs to know to complete a basic Pro Tools project, from initial setup to final mixdown. The Pro Tools Fundamentals II (PT110) course (27 hours) expands upon the basic principles taught in the Pro Tools Fundamentals I (PT101) course and introduces the core concepts and skills students need to competently operate a Pro Tools 12 system running mid-sized sessions.
These courses provides the foundational training required to prepare for the Avid Certified User: Pro Tools Software certification exam. The certification exam is included as part of the class.
- Creating sessions in Pro Tools 12
- Multi-track recordings of live audio
- MIDI sequences and virtual instruments
- Elastic audio and automation
- Using submixes and groups
- Using basic processing and mixing techniques to finalize a production
- Knowledge of how to operate Pro Tools 12 to record audio
- Knowledge of how to use a PC as a digital audio workstation (DAW)
- Basic knowledge of audio editing and mixing techniques
- Upon passing the exam, designation as an "Avid Certified Pro Tools User"
How do I become an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools?
- Firstly attend the two courses: Pro Tools Fundamentals (PT101) and Pro Tools Fundamentals II (PT110)
- To certify you must complete each course, including course projects/exercises, at UNC Charlotte, an official Avid Learning Partner, then pass each course completion exam.
Where are the classes offered?
- The classes will be offered at UNC Charlotte main campus laboratory EPIC 2368.
What do my course fees include?
The UNC Charlotte Avid Certification User: Pro Tools (PT101/110) program includes:
- The course textbook, the cost of the course exam, and a single retake if required. Additional retakes are chargeable.
- Parking at UNC Charlotte Main Campus
Can I refer to study materials during the exam?
No. Students are not allowed to reference any documentation or study materials during the exam.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam is comprised of 50 questions with 60 minutes allotted to complete.
Test items are presented in the following formats:
- Multiple Choice: Select the single option that best answers the question
- Illustration Review: Refer to the illustration prior to answering the multiple choice question
- Illustration Response: Select the single image that best answers the question
What happens if I take the exam and do not pass?
Exam results are shown immediately when an exam is completed and submitted for evaluation. Unless a candidate is banned from retaking the exams for reasons of fraud or rule violations, the following retake policy applies:
- If a student does not pass an exam, the candidate may retake the exam after 24 hours have passed
- Once a student has passed an exam, it may not be taken again for that version of the Avid product
What will I receive if I successfully pass the exam?
Along with pride and confidence of becoming an Avid Certified User for Pro Tools you will receive:
- Official certificate available for printing or download, proving your Avid Certified User status.
- Downloadable Logos, for use in your resume, business marketing materials such as business cards and websites.
- (Optional with your express consent) Listing of your credentials on Avid.com under Find a Certified Professional
How long is certification good for?
Your Pro Tools certification does not expire. You become certified for a particular version of Pro Tools software. You may find it beneficial to update your certification to the current version from time to time.
- No experience with Avid Pro Tools software is required
- A working knowledge of Windows or Macintosh or operating systems
- Students are required to bring audio headphones
- Basic audio recording and DAW knowledge, such as a familiarity with microphones, understanding of basic audio and MIDI recording techniques, knowledge of basic multi-track mixing concepts (such as setting levels and panning), and familiarity with digital audio equipment such as MIDI controllers and audio interfaces
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Avid Certified User Certificate : Required