Often times, people take on the role of executor thinking that it only involves making sure the deceased’s assets get to the right beneficiary. However, it is much more than that. The executor is the one who directs all aspects of the deceased’s final affairs after they pass. From navigating through the probate process to filing the last estate tax return, this course will explore what it really means to be an executor. It will explore basic knowledge that any executor should know, as well as develop participant’s thinking around estate planning and how to guide clients so they can pick the right team.
- Probate Process & Responsibilities of an Executor
- Considerations when putting together an Estate Team
- Structure & Elements of a Will
- Estate Taxation & the Distribution of Assets
- Types of Trusts -- how they work and how to effectively use them
- Common traps in estate planning and how to avoid them
- An understanding of the general responsibilities of an executor
- An awareness of the key considerations to take into account when assembling an estate planning team
- An understanding of the court process and how a will works
- How to use trusts as an estate planning tool
- A basic understanding of distribution planning as it relates to taxation
- A greater awareness of the pitfalls to avoid when estate planning
Enroll Now - Select a section to enroll in
Course curriculum is developed in consultation with our Professional Development Advisory Board of subject matter experts, faculty, and industry practitioners.